About Community Councils
Community Councils are voluntary organisations that act as a voice for their local area. They express the views and concerns of local people on a wide range of issues.
They meet regularly to discuss issues affecting their area, including planning and licensing applications. All meetings are held in public and residents are encouraged to attend their local meeting.
Community Councils represent and express the views of the whole community they serve. Many also involve themselves in a wide range of other activities for the benefit of their community.
Community Councils meet a minimum of 6 times annually. You are free to attend your Community Council's regular public meetings. There will be an opportunity within the meeting for you to ask questions and make comments.
An agenda detailing what will be discussed will be made available 7 days before each Community Council meeting. Minutes will be taken and these will be publicly available once approved.
You can become a member of your Community Council. Each Community Council must hold an election at least once every 4 years, giving new members the opportunity to join. There may also be interim elections if a Community Councillor has stepped down.
Anyone can become a member of their Community Council provided they are:
- Over 16 years old
- Live within the specified boundary
- Are on the electoral register for that area
If you wish to become a Community Councillor you can nominate yourself when there is an election. An election will not be held if the number of people nominated is less than the number of members allowed on the Community Council.
- 2022-08-10 Respite care provision 'a disgrace': Rogart father hits back at council over 'lack of services' in far north
- 2022-08-09 S4 pupils in Highlands record highest pass rate in region for three years in National 5 exams
- 2022-08-09 Ban piercing guns, says Inverness piercer after influx of emergencies
- 2022-08-09 Stone calls for action on GP shortage and says Scottish Government should do more
- 2022-08-09 New BBC reality show about Scottish airline crew lands next week